Developing and distributing social gadgets just got easier

Thursday, June 4, 2009 | 1:05 PM

Labels: , ,

Creating a social gadget for Google Friend Connect just became a little easier and more flexible. Here are some of the recent changes that will impact you as a developer:

  • Friend Connect now supports OpenSocial Specification v0.9, which adds a number of important features to improve the gadget development process and the performance of gadgets. These features include OS Lite, OSML, templates, proxied content and more.
  • Want to ask site owners to configure additional preferences before adding your gadget to their sites? Now you can with the gadgets.Prefs functionality. Define the preferences you need in the XML gadgets specification, and the site owner will be asked to provide the values for the preferences when they get the code for the gadget. More information on the XML definition for these preferences is available in the OpenSocial XML Reference.
  • Let site owners customize the color of your gadget to match their sites. When the site owners generate the code for the gadget, they will have the option to set the colors they want to use, ensuring that the gadget integrates well with the style of their site. For more information on OpenSocial skins, see the gadgets.skins API reference.
  • After your gadget is built, we would like to include it in the Friend Connect gadget gallery so that site owners will have more ways to engage their visitors. After testing your gadget and making sure it has the required fields in the gadget XML file, submit it for inclusion in our gallery. We will review your gadget and add it to our gallery once it is approved.
To learn more, visit Google Code. Thanks for taking the time to create your gadget and we look forward to seeing all the innovative gadgets that will make the web more social. With more than 5 million sites using Friend Connect, we're sure they'll find some good homes.

11 comments:

Towards infinity said...

Um, nice... but unfortunately one can't use any of the opensocial stuff with a google site. Ok, maybe not the same target population :-) but it is a bit odd there is no way to use opensocial :-(... think of how much *google sites* website could be improved by using opensocial! and an excellent way to give it a spin :-). puuuhleeeze?

Tips Experts For You said...

This blog have great content and really possible to get helpful information

PanosJee said...

Will it ever be possible to use the OS session like Facebook Connect does?

Umarfaruk M said...

I am waiting for Google Wave ( www.Google-Wave.co.cc )

Happy.Zhong said...

I like GFC,It is so great...
my site use GFC,welcome to visit

http://www.google-style.com

StoutFiles said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

StoutFiles said...

Mr. Shalabi,

GFC does NOT work correctly with either IE or Chrome. It adds to the browser history for each gadget on the page, completely destroying the back button. This makes the gadget completely unusable.

Is anyone at Google working on this problem?

Dee Mee Tree said...

Google! Will you make it possible to me as a site owner to get the information about the people who connected to it using Google Friend Connect? Because right now I don't have any options for mass e-mail, I don't have any way of sorting out my community by cities or what content they read... basically, it's like I'm giving you guys all my userbase away in exchange for being able to post comments and view the latest activity on the site. Doesn't make sense to me. At least Facebook is taking my content away, but not my users...

musikji said...

very good Innovation frm google. N Now, we can build music community with 100% google accounts.. good Luck N I Love Google...

Dee Mee Tree said...

is there a way to contact all my community with a single email?

Alana said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Maria

http://memory1gb.com